By Ndabeni Bagosi, Head: Cost and Agility Programme, Total South Africa
Leading and forward-thinking organisations rely on the agility of their supply chains for sustainability. Traditionally, the focus of supply chain has been on compliance and cost cutting. However, increasing competition, changing customer needs and a changing economic environment are challenging organisations to think beyond cost.
Increasingly, chief procurement officers (CPOs) are required to provide solutions on how they can contribute to organisations’ agility, safety, cost reduction and environmental compliance (sustainable procurement).
This includes but is not limited to:
– Rethinking supply chain management (SCM) strategies
– Synchronising SCM strategies with customer needs
– Partnering with strategic service providers to lead innovation
– Identifying short- and long-term cost containment solutions
– Deploying technologies such as e-commerce, e-procurement, e-auction, enterprise resource planning (ERP) and automated requests for quotations (ARQs)
Click here to continue reading on SmartProcurement Review.